As you are an elected or appointed council member and dedicated advocate for MU Extension, we want to give you the most accurate and timely information possible. We have designed a resource "toolbox" to have at your disposal the educational information, guidelines, by-laws and tools you need to be an advocate for and be informed about extension.
The council resource toolbox is designed to assist council members and officers to best carry out your office duties and serve the constituents that you represent.
Missouri extension councils
County, regional and state extension council members serve as the interface between MU Extension and elected representatives in local and state government. Council members have many opportunities to be key communicators and advocates for the valuable programs and work that extension does in communities across the state.
In all 114 Missouri counties, an MU county extension council, of elected, appointed and delegated citizens help guide local educational programming. County council members are partners in the educational process, from needs assessment through program implementation and evaluation of outcomes.
MU Regional Extension Councils include representatives from each county extension council within the region. Each county council selects its representatives. Regional extension councils are the forums through which county councils cooperate in providing effective, educational programs through:
- Discussion and exchange of information on regional issues;
- Recommendations on topics and issues related to regional and county concerns;
- Assistance in the training of county extension councils;
- Promotion of and support for multi-county planning and programming;
- Fostering of the partnership of MU Extension, MU Extension state council and the extension county councils; and
- Support for the policies and procedures jointly adopted by MU Extension and MU Extension state council.
The University of Missouri Extension State Council promotes the common interest of county councils through:
- Support for research and extension programs of MU and Lincoln University at all levels of government, and
- Dissemination of information on the need for, and advantage of, research and extension.
The MU Extension state council is comprised of individuals who currently serve, or have served, on a county extension council and who are elected by their regional extension councils.
The council meets the second Friday of each month.
Mark Stewart, director of Off-Campus Operations, is the liaison to the state and regional councils and the person who works with regional directors and their county councils.
2016 Council to Campus
The 2016 Council to Campus conference convened on the Mizzou campus in Columbia on June 17 and 18. For the past ten years, this event has connected county council members with research and program development at the University of Missouri’s flagship campus. Council to Campus is an opportunity for the University of Missouri, MU Extension and the county extension councils (made up of elected and appointed delegates) to forge new partnerships. Attendees from each county and region have the opportunity to learn more about what extension does and how we work to implement extension programs across the state.