Wednesday, January 11, 2017University of Missouri Extension has compiled a list of websites, extension publications, news releases and other online resources for coping before, during and after winter storms.
Monday, December 5, 2016MARSHFIELD, Mo. – Cold weather is hard on cars and trucks, but a little preparation will keep vehicles running well throughout winter’s coldest days.
Friday, October 14, 2016COLUMBIA, Mo. – The University of Missouri Extension Fire and Rescue Training Institute (MU FRTI) recently took delivery on a new specialized mobile fire training simulator system. The simulator is designed to provide training in fire scenarios involving vehicles, dumpsters/trash receptacles, liquid spills and gas cylinder fires. The system is incorporated with a trailer to make the training as accessible as possible, as the institute offers 80 percent of its training in the field to meet career and volunteer fire service schedules and needs. The simulator was acquired through the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program, along with a local funding match from MU Extension.
Media available: photo
Thursday, June 23, 2016COLUMBIA, Mo. – Lawns around the Show-Me State are starting to turn brown. But that’s a normal, and temporary, response to hot, dry weather.
Wednesday, June 22, 2016COLUMBIA, Mo. – The combination of prolonged high heat and dry weather potentially threatens fish ponds, says a University of Missouri Extension fisheries and wildlife specialist.
Tuesday, June 2, 2015KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Floods can devastate property and have lasting effects on a community. In the aftermath, people might not think about the consequences flooding can have on food.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012COLUMBIA, Mo. – Resources threatened by this year’s drought include ponds that depend on surface runoff for water. Fish are at risk from high water temperatures, oxygen depletion, increased disease potential and other problems as water levels drop in ponds through lack of runoff and evaporation, said Bob Pierce, University of Missouri Extension state fisheries and wildlife specialist.
Thursday, August 9, 2012COLUMBIA, Mo. – The livestock industry is taking a direct hit by this summer’s drought, and that will impact consumers’ wallets next year, says a University of Missouri agricultural economist.
Media available: video
Wednesday, August 8, 2012NOVELTY, Mo. – Zac Erwin stood by a drought-stunted field of Sudangrass as he talked to wagon-loads of field day visitors at the MU Greenley Research Center, Aug. 7.
Friday, August 3, 2012COLUMBIA – Soybeans that won’t make a seed crop offer potential high-quality forage for beef and dairy producers. The decision to cut beans for hay won’t be easy, say University of Missouri Extension specialists.
Thursday, August 2, 2012COLUMBIA, Mo – Some heat-stressed cows are delivering premature calves, ahead of normal fall-calving season.
Friday, June 29, 2012COLUMBIA, Mo.—Wildfire season in Missouri typically runs from late March to early May, but hot, dry conditions this year puts the state at heightened risk of wildfire into summer and perhaps beyond, says a University of Missouri Extension state forester.
Monday, August 29, 2011COLUMBIA, Mo. – This year Missouri has seen flooding, severe winter weather and devastating tornadoes. Meanwhile, two earthquakes struck in the U.S. within hours of each other even as a major hurricane moved toward the East Coast.
Media available: photo
Monday, June 6, 2011COLUMBIA, Mo. – Moisture and rising temperatures can turn parts of your home into ideal sites for mold growth, said a University of Missouri Extension housing and environmental design specialist.
Media available: photo
Browse these University of Missouri websites:
You may be interested in these external websites:
You may be interested in these related publications:
You may be interested in these external publications:
- Water Requirements and Safety for Cattle Following a Disaster (PDF), LSU
- Dealing with Disaster: Be Watchful of Con Artists, University of California Cooperative Extension
- Dealing with Disaster: Getting Your Home Repaired, University of California Cooperative Extension
- Disaster Preparedness for Veterinarians, American Veterinary Medical Association
- Disaster Resource Guide for Individuals and Businesses, IRS
- Cortes inesperados de la electricidad, CDC
- Lo que necesita saber en caso de un corte inesperado de la electricidad, CDC
- Protéjase contra la intoxicación por monóxido de carbono después de una emergencia (PDF), CDC
- Patriotismo por la Preparación (PDF), TAMU
- Desastres naturales e inesperados, BID
- Su lista de comprobación de desastres (PDF), Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Manténganse informado antes, durante y después de una emergencia, FEMA
- Su guía de preparación para desastres (PDF), Illinois Department of Public Health
- Prepárese para lo inesperado (PDF) , Texas EDEN
- Preparación para casos de desastre para personas con discapacidad y otras necesidades especiales (PDF), FEMA