The Woods in Your Backyard: Learning to Create and Enhance Natural Areas Around Your Home
The following abstract describes a publication that is only available for purchase. A link to ordering information is on this page.
Plant and Life Sciences Publishing
Would you like to see more natural beauty and less manicured lawn surround your home? If so, this book will be an essential tool to help you shape and rebuild your backyard environment. This four-color combination book and workbook promotes the stewardship of small land parcels for the owner’s enjoyment and for improved environmental quality. Written for educators and owners of 1 to 10 acres of wooded or unmowed natural areas in the eastern United States and for land owners that want to turn mowed areas into woodlands.
By reading this book, completing the activities, and reviewing the resources, you will achieve a better understanding of your land and develop a strategy to achieve your goals. This includes:
- Understanding the benefits of managing your land mapping your property, assessing why you own it, and what you hope it will become.
- Understanding how your place functions in the larger landscape.
- Identifying habitat units on your property.
- Learning basics of tree identi?cation, forestry, and habitat management.
- Assessing and improving your property’s water resources, recreational possibilities, and aesthetic appeal.
- Choosing a few backyard projects to help meet your goals.
- Setting a timetable and marking your progress.
- Land-management techniques
- Ecological principles
- Outdoor environment
- Backyard living area