Described below are critical roles for various employees.
Vice Chancellor for Extension and Engagement
- Works directly to assure the federal and state budget support necessary to maintain and build a vital organization.
- Leads legislative strategy development and implementation in cooperation with the MU campus administration and with the UM Governmental Relations office.
- Communicates directly with Program Leaders, Regional Directors and administrative staff about budget and program issues.
- Oversees decisions and communications with key stakeholders, including the media.
- Provide leadership for determining program priorities, funding strategies, program evaluation and impact, and communications for programs statewide
- Build relationships with campus, state, multi-state, national, and international stakeholders, agencies, organizations and constituents.
- Establish and maintain formal partnerships and collaborations to enable external funding opportunities on a state, multi-state, national and international level.
- Facilitate meetings with key stakeholders as necessary and work with faculty and local, regional and state extension councils to engage with and develop stakeholder communications.
University of Missouri Governmental Relations
- Oversees legislative strategies, policies and procedures related to legislative advocacy for the entire University.
- Serves as resource to extension in communication with legislators.
Director, Constituent Relations
- Implements strategies for communication with legislators and other stakeholders as delegated by the Vice Provost and Director of Cooperative Extension.
- Coordinates with UM Government Relations staff, MU University Affairs staff, Program Directors and Regional Directors in developing training plans and materials for communication.
Director of Off-Campus Operations
- Communicates purpose and value of stakeholder relationship program to regional faculty and staff.
- Coordinates with Regional Directors and Regional and State Extension Councils to develop plans for training off-campus faculty, staff and councils about their roles.
- Assists Vice Provost in direct communication with stakeholders as requested.
- Coordinate with County Program Directors and Regional Councils to develop stakeholder communication strategies and plans on regional and county levels.
- Facilitate sharing of information among administration and County Program Directors and Regional Councils.
- Facilitate meetings with key stakeholders as necessary.
- Support county and regional training and communication efforts.
- Meet and get to know key legislators in their region and their primary interests. Discuss what extension has done/might do that relates to them and their constituents.
County Program Directors
- Mobilize local faculty, staff and volunteers to inventory current relationships with stakeholders; assess strengths and weaknesses; work with regional faculty and volunteers to build ongoing, local relationships.
- Develop annual plan for communication with key stakeholders through personal visits, phone calls, e-mail, invitations to participate in programs, recognition events and other means.
- With county council, support training for faculty, staff and council members.
- Introduce new faculty to local policymakers.
- With county council, orchestrate effort to gain support for county budget.
- Alert Director of Off-Campus Operations and Regional Director to situations needing attention
- Distribute annual report to key stakeholders, such as county commissioners and legislators.
Associate Vice Chancellor for Extension and Engagement
- Assist Vice Provost with communications as assigned and act in Vice Provost’s stead when necessary.
- Coordinate with campus Continuing Education Directors to inventory current relationships with stakeholders; assess strengths and weaknesses; and encourage faculty, staff and volunteers to build ongoing relationships with stakeholders.
- Alert Vice Provost of situations needing attention and opportunities.
Continuing Education Directors
- Coordinate with campus faculty to develop stakeholder communication plans.
- Report back to Associate Vice Provost on periodic basis concerning situations needing attention and opportunities.
All Campus and Off-Campus Faculty
- Follow the news, and be informed about legislative and community issues.
- Inventory and assess current relationships with stakeholders. Share information with CPD or Department/Unit head.
- Get to know legislators and their aides, county commissioners and other decision makers, particularly those dealing with faculty member’s academic area.
- Communicate with County Program Directors, Regional Directors and Program Leaders about “connecting points” with stakeholders.
- Develop annual plan for communication through personal visits, phone calls, e-mail, invitations to participate in programs, recognition events and other means.
- Share information about programmatic efforts and impacts through newsletters, news columns, presentations at community groups and personal conversations.
- Involve policymakers in educational program efforts. Work with policymakers on issues of concern for their communities.
County Council Coordinator
- Coordinate stakeholder relations training for county councils on ongoing basis.
- Serve as resource to county, regional and state councils to implement stakeholder communication plans.
- Report areas of concern and opportunity to Director of Off-Campus Operations.